+ Reply to Thread

Default Finally getting that dedicated circuit run to the DW & GD

Looking for a little input on the "exposed" wiring now. I will be passing the romex through the floor (in pvc conduit) to a junction box in the empty cabinet that houses the dishwasher. From that box is a shirt trip to the disposal switch, which is mounted inside the cabinet under the sink. Not my favorite location, but it makes it impossible for a child to grind fingers with that setup, so I guess it does not present a danger.
    Anyway, for the wiring in the frequently used under sink cabinet, do I want to stick with the romex, or but a few feet of armored cable?
    I want to keep up with both code and basic safety here, and I think plastic sheathed wiring anywhere that it can be touched is a no-no.

In moderately related news, the installer of prior wiring in my house decided to mount receptacles in metal boxes, using romex cable, inside the above-counter cabinets, meaning runs of romex are just hanging out with the mixing bows and spices unguarded. Look for my cursing about changing that out in the future, as I will be patching holes in my old custom cabinets.

Default Re: Finally getting that dedicated circuit run to the DW & GD

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    Looking for a little input on the "exposed" wiring now. I will be passing the romex through the floor (in pvc conduit) to a junction box in the empty cabinet that houses the dishwasher. From that box is a shirt trip to the disposal switch, which is mounted inside the cabinet under the sink. Not my favorite location, but it makes it impossible for a child to grind fingers with that setup, so I guess it does not present a danger.
    Anyway, for the wiring in the frequently used under sink cabinet, do I want to stick with the romex, or but a few feet of armored cable?
    I want to keep up with both code and basic safety here, and I think plastic sheathed wiring anywhere that it can be touched is a no-no.

In moderately related news, the installer of prior wiring in my house decided to mount receptacles in metal boxes, using romex cable, inside the above-counter cabinets, meaning runs of romex are just hanging out with the mixing bows and spices unguarded. Look for my cursing about changing that out in the future, as I will be patching holes in my old custom cabinets.
    Function, looks like you're on your way to a first class installation. The supplemental protection coming thru the floor is Code but seldom done.

Romex is actually rated for concealed and exposed use but, it must conform to the surface, not hanging in air.

And, all splices, as you well know, should be in boxes.

The wiring to the DW should be #14-3 rubber SO cord.

Not Code but somethings I like to do:

1) Install a GFCI receptacle for the feed to the GD and one for the DW. So when they're being worked on they can simply be un-plugged. Both should be readily accessible, under the sink is fine.

2) Install a separate 20A circuit (and GFCI receptacle) for both
    the DW & GD since the DW in the drying mode pulls a lot of power, same for a large GD.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Default Re: Finally getting that dedicated circuit run to the DW & GD

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post

Not Code but somethings I like to do:

1) Install a GFCI receptacle for the feed to the GD and one for the DW. So when they're being worked on they can simply be un-plugged. Both should be readily accessible, under the sink is fine.

2) Install a separate 20A circuit (and GFCI receptacle) for both
    the DW & GD since the DW in the drying mode pulls a lot of power, same for a large GD.
    Thanks for the thoughts, greatly appreciated.
    I gave some thought to #1, was not sure how it would be received, but it would make new installs and working on things easier. I'll probably do it since I have an extra GFCI receptacle around here already.
    As for #2, I will probably hold off until I know if I will run out of open spaces in my panel or not, I have a lot of wiring projects ahead of me and want to make sure I map everything out correctly. Plus since I'm cheap I never use the heat dry function in my DW anyway, though I know any subsequent owners of this house may not be the same way.