+ Reply to Thread

Default portable radiant heater placement

Last winter my husband installed a basement-level woodstove to heat our 1650 sq. foot side-hall colonial (basement is an additional 825 sq. feet). He had removed the insulation from the basement and installed vents so the heat rose to the upper floors. The stove provided sufficient heat and lowered our propane bill (which was the goal), but needs to be redesigned to ensure proper ventillation/draft. This redesign will likely not occur until 2014. In the interim, we are supplimenting our propane-fueled heater with a portable radiant heater (heats up to 1,000 sq. ft.). What is the best location for this heater? He maintains it is in the basement, where the heat will rise to the upper floors. I think it best to place it on the main floor of the house since the basement is in use only 1-2 nights/wk, and thermostats are on the main and upper floors.

Suggestions? I realize this situation is less than ideal, but until we are able to save enough for the redesign of the woodstove, we need to consider other options such as this radiant heater.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Michelle

Default Re: portable radiant heater placement

Michelle,

I think it may be time to call in one or two heating consultants (Yellow Pages/"Heating Contractors") in your area to evaluate the way your home is heated, & perhaps suggest the best method to heat the house.

Most homes have a central heat plant (boiler, furnace) in the basement with heat emitters like radiators, baseboard, forced air registers, etc., that distribute heat throughout the house, on the theory that this is the most economical and effective way of heating a building; as I read your post I notice you have a wood stove, a radiant heater, and a propane-fueled heater, and there is a question if all 3 can do the job.

I realize money is short, but at least try to get some solid idea from an expert as to how to heat your home that both you and your husband can agree on.

Could you give us some additional info as to the rated output of each of the heating devices you have now (usually in BTUs/hour), as well as your general location, and whether the exterior walls of the house have insulation, as well if there is insulation in the attic.

Given that the coldest periods of the winter are just ahead, would you say that you are able to keep the house reasonably warm during these periods.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-26-2012 at 12:03 AM.