+ Reply to Thread

Default New light fixture

where can I find a diagram or pictures of how to install a new ceiling light into an old (1940's) shallow ceiling box?

Default Re: New light fixture

You don't say how heavy the fixture is or how sturdy the existing box is.

It may easier to simply remove the 3" box (after turning off the breaker or fuse) and mounting a fan/light style box in it's place.

They're rated by the weight they can support and, depending on how sturdy they are, can cost anywhere from $2 to $20.

When you get done the box will be large enough to easily contain all of the wires, large enough to not allow any wires to contact the ceiling and sturdy enough to support your fixture.

Take a trip to Home Depot and explain what you want, they will be glad to show you all the options.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Check the temperature rating of the existing conductors first.

I have converted every one of my ceiling light fixtures to T91 LED plate lights from Home Depot. Such lights are like spots of quite-bright and natural sunshine. A 14.5 watt T91 is brighter and prettier than a 23 watt CFL bulb.

If you are asking then about T91 placement in a 4" junction box, I recommend using RACO 175 boxes. You must choose a deep box, and won't find more space in fiberglass boxes also suited for this, from Allied Moulded. There is limited space for wiring in the junction box, only perhaps for two leads.

I have converted every one of my ceiling light fixtures to T91 LED plate lights from Home Depot. Such lights are like spots of quite-bright and natural sunshine. A 14.5 watt T91 is brighter and prettier than a 23 watt CFL bulb.

If you are asking then about T91 placement in a 4" junction box, I recommend using RACO 175 steel boxes. You must choose a deep box, and won't find more space in fiberglass boxes also suited for this, from Allied Moulded. There is limited space for wiring in the junction box, only perhaps for two leads.