+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall covering for basement bathroom

Looking for some tip on what to put on the walls in my basement bathroom. Drywall , cement board any tips would help. Am thinking of doing cement board up part way then tile that part and drywall the top half.

Default Re: Wall covering for basement bathroom

Are you trying to waterproof? Flood proof?

Well never had a problem with water but had a little mold on some old Sheetrock that took out so just want to put something up that should not let mold grow on it.

Your plan is good, but you have to install moisture barrier below the cement board. Tiles go on cement board nice and easy.

Regarding the old mold, member keith has a formula to resist mold, so it doesn't come back. Do some search under his postings.

In high humidity and below grade applications, I would consider the use of the anti-fungal drywalls which do not use paper coverings. The paper itself is a potential food source for fungus.

I am not a big fan of greenboard. Greenboard is impregnated with a substance to be moisture resistant. Unfortunately, I have had problems with it being somewhat water soluble paint resistive too, causing adhesion and peeling problems. I would sooner use conventional drywall with a good primer and moisture resistant paint.

Premium primers and paints will already contain mildecides, although addtional mildecide certainly can be added to paint, primer and wallpaper pastes.

Many manufacturers make special paint for bath and high humidity areas. Zinsser makes such a paint. Generally, the higher the sheen, the more moisture resistive it is. Semi-gloss has often been used in baths just for this reason.

Don't forget to install a really good exhaust fan. Some of the better fans sense humidity and will automatically run until the humidity has been reduced.

Mold can grow on pert near anything. To get rid of mold get rid of the water, usually accomplished by better air flow as mentioned above. If you are looking to flood proof, cement board over studs is a good idea, but think about the insulation between the walls. You don't want that getting soaked. A closed cell spray foam insulation is waterproof.