+ Reply to Thread

Default Pivot Rod is too short

New vanity sinks have their drain a bit too far from the vertical rod that control the plug, making the horizontal link, the Pivot Rod, too short.

I have a plan to make it longer, which I've done before, but I was wondering if there is a better and simpler solution. Any ideas?

Default Re: Pivot Rod is too short

In most cases we just put a offset in the vertical upper rod.

John

I've always just bent the connector between the actuator and the pivot rod a little bit. How much offset are you talking about?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I've always just bent the connector between the actuator and the pivot rod a little bit. How much offset are you talking about?
    It's about 6" away. The lower connector rod (with the holes) won't reach.

How is that even possible? I've seen some weirdness in my day, but nothing like this.

What I would do would be to find a length of stainless rod the same diameter as the pivot rod. I would then find a piece of stainless tubing that fits over it with just a little slop. I would then use shoe goo to glue the tubing over the pieces of rod to join them into one piece.

If you'd like something a little less "hacked" together, then substitute the tubing for a thicker sleeve that can be side drilled with set screws. Loctite the set screws to prevent them from loosening.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What kind of sink do you have. For the rod to be 6" short it must have the drain very close to the front of the sink.

John

The 2 sinks, 72" vanity and granite counter top - all made in China. These folks special ordered it and waited 2 months for it.

The drain sits in the middle of the sinks and the 3 holes in the granite are pushed back, creating that gap.

Now the Moen faucet they got is also made in China, but probably in a different province...since it came with a short pivot rod.

Spruce: I have tried what you recommended on another job before, and it worked. I just thought that there was a simlpler solution. I'll do the same thing here.

John: thanks for your input.

just dealt with this issue. we ended up buying a push down stopper. the kind where you push the stopper down to seal it then push it down again to pop it up. not because the offset was too far but because it was an old antique sink with the old fashioned separate hot and cold knobs. didn't have the hole in the faucet for the up and down stopper so we bought the one i described above. should work in your case.

Problem solved: I found longer pivot arms and ended up offsetting only a couple of inches.

MLB, funny that you mentioned push stoppers: I installed one for them in the new tub and guess what: they asked if I could remove it so they can use their beloved rubber drain cover that looked very old to me. I did remove it by the retaining screw...