+ Reply to Thread

Post What do YOU want to see in our 10 Uses column, readers?

Who knew there were so many DIY uses for things like packing peanuts, coins, and more! Got a clever DIY use for an unlikely household item? Share them with us and you could be featured!

Default Re: What do YOU want to see in our 10 Uses column, readers?

Lighter fluid for removing tape gum and ink from solid surfaces such as countertops, glass, etc.

BBQ lighter fluid won't work, it has to be wick style lighter fluid.

Repurpose glass jars. As long as the lid is in good condition, you can wash and reuse them for other things. Write on the glass with a Sharpie marker to label and date the item. Dish soap will clean off the marker ready for the next use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Old fiberglass tent poles (which can be cut to length with a fine-tooth hacksaw)
    1. Plant stakes
    2. Garden tool rack: cut in short lengths; drive into angled holes in a 2x4; mount in garden shed to hang shovels, rakes, hoes, etc.
    3. Row markers for the vegetable garden
    4. Miniature greenhouse: arch the pole over a raised bed, lay clear polyethylene plastic over it
    5. Tape a rag on one end, use to dust hard-to-reach areas (like under the refrigerator)
    6. Temporary curtain rod
    7. Lay over paint can or tray to hold brushes
    8. Replace the elastic with string, use to fish wires through walls (or leave the elastic in place but tape the sections together with electrical tape)
    9. Garden flagpole
    10. ???

Now, I haven't proven that all these ideas work, but I have used some of them. You shouldn't use them around live, exposed electrical wires since some poles may contain conductive materials, such as carbon fiber.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The moose eat absolutely everything green here in the winter. Several years ago I planted a new apple tree so to protect it, I decided to take lengths of the Styrofoam tubing for insulating pipes (the kind that is already cut open)and cut them to size for each branch. Low and behold it worked... moose teeth prints in the foam were the proof.

I also grow potatoes in the recyclable grocery bags and tote bags.

Ditto on the pipe insulation.