+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do YOU want to see in our All About column, readers?

When YOU want to learn All About home improvement, you look to America's Most Trusted Home Improvement Brand. Now, tell us what you'll be upgrading come Spring/ Summer 2013. In the past you've request All About columns on retaining walls, interior paint, and crown molding. What's on YOUR to-learn list now? Tell us and the editors of TOH will develop the most requested topic!

Default Re: What do YOU want to see in our All About column, readers?

I would really like to see a column about project scopes, budgets, and how clients and contractors can work together to create a beautiful project with a modest budget.
    So much of what we see published and on television are "dream projects" that have hefty budgets.
    Most customers are afraid to tell their contractors that they have a budget that everyone must use for their project.
    Creating a win-win project!

We bought a rental home this past summer for our college aged kids to live in and rent while in college. It is built on a concrete slab. I would like to learn about tips, potential problems and challenges of having a home on a slab.
    Also, in that same house, the gas water heater sprung a leak and my husband decided to 'take a look' to see what the problem was. He ended up tearing out and reinstalling a new water heater all by himself, saving us about $400 from what prices we were quoted by local plumbers. Maybe water heater installation would be helpful for your readers too.

I would love to see all about ductless A/C units. I have a 60s era apartment/co-op and while I've resigned myself to baseboard heating, I refuse to accept in-wall A/C. LOUD, thermostat-less and ugly, I'm ready to trash mine for something better. Ductless A/C is all over Europe where their buildings are much older and installing ductwork isn't an option. What's the cost? Contractors? How do I cover up that hole? Etc etc etc..!

Question Re: What do YOU want to see in our All About column, readers?

We have a steeply-pitched front yard that gets full sun all year. Keeping grass green all summer is a challenge, and mowing on an incline is tricky, at best. We've talked about terracing the yard and putting in drought-tolerant plants. There is also a water meter sunk in at ground level on the slope about half-way between the front door and the street, so we know there are utilities coming in that way. Should we even attempt this as a DIY project, or is this a job for the professionals?

I'd like to learn All About simple software for designing items like built in cabinets or bookcases. Even a simple structure like a free standing garage or shed. This would be low priced software for DIY homeowners to play with ideas before contacting a prof designer or builder.

I would like to see something on large projects as well dealing with scope and budgeting and planning as well as dealing with the government. I am doing a substantial renovation on my house right now that is already a year + behind due to lack of knowledge in these areas.

Roofers here in NY say its code to install a mandatory ridge vent. That's fine but the roofers do not bother installing rafters vents or soffit vents to accommodate for the air flow. It would be great to see this topic from beginning to end covering different types of roof installations.

Basement finishing options for wet basements. Water softener systems. Sump pump options.

I really want to see an article about Arts and Craft interior trims/doors/moldings. How to do faux wainscoting.