+ Reply to Thread

Default What do YOU want to see in our Shopping column, readers?

Last year, you asked us to do the legwork on unique doorbells to jazz up your entryways. What do YOU want us to shop for in the NEXT Reader-Created Issue? (Keep in mind that the issue hits newsstands when it's warm out, OK honorary guest editors?)

Default Re: What do YOU want to see in our Shopping column, readers?

Lights! not fixtures but bulbs! I am 83, mostly confined to my room where I do needlework and other crafts as well as read a lot. I need lots of true light in there so I can see true colours as well as lots of light to read by.I don't do shadows. Sunshiney light makes me feel happy.
    There are so many different kinds of bulbs. How do you choose- for what?

Light fixtures! I have a little '50s cracker box house and I want to replace the kitchen ceiling light fixture. It's ugly and it's enclosed which means compact fluorescent bulbs burn out way too fast. (I gave up and went back to incandescents.) Not looking for can lights, track lights or ginormous chandeliers. What else is out there?

Light bulbs too.

I would love to see products that are great for green retrofitting of older houses.

old school style hardware in general. i run into high end projects all the time now where the homeowners are wanting new hardware that looks like turn of the century hardware, be it electric, plumbing or door hardware
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Smart thermostats. Too many choices out there. In the summer we're always looking to keep the A/C costs down!

I would like LONGEVITY of a particular product to be a feature in our throw-away society. I would like this presented in an appealing way to encourage our younger generation to make better, longer lasting choices. I would like it to include encouraging the purchase of USA made products as opposed to sometimes, very short-lived CHINA made items....the media could be a huge defining factor in showing this to these folks and it would, promote much needed jobs in the US!!!

I am looking where I can find old church items, be it the glass or the candle holders. I know of a company that do have this Olde Good Things,( but they are way too expensive ) I am also tying to find companies that do turn of the century replica lighting - ( preferably not made in China )

How about devoting an issue on products made in the USA, cool stuff like lighting, glass, etc.. cool door handles- anything for the home.