+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Elgin, TX
    Posts
    1

    Default Need any advice for old Victorian house

    My daughter and I recently moved into my parents' house to care for my mother, who since my father's death has apparently let the house go. This house was built in 1905 with maple beams that seem to be petrified, since it requires an impact wrench to affix drywall or paneling to the walls.
    My first concern is a "mushroomy" smell in certain areas upstairs. My initial thought is mold, but I am now wondering if the smell might also be caused by stray cats (urine and feces) that have come in and out of the house over the years according to my mother through the space between the first and second floors into an attic/closet. I am hoping for advice on how to get rid of the source and smell, since my daughter seems to be having a reaction to it (asthma-like symptoms). I don't have the resources to hire a professional to come in, and would like any remedies that may have worked for other homeowners with this problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Need any advice for old Victorian house

    i've never heard of someone having asthma symptoms from a urine smell but i have heard ALOT of stories about people showing asthma like symptoms from mold. even if you're short on cash, i think your and your mother's health is important enough to have it tested for mold. there's hundreds of types of mold ranging from harmless to extremely harmful. GET IT PROFESSIONALLY TESTED PLEASE.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Need any advice for old Victorian house

    The above poster have a point. Inhaling molds may produce asthma or allergic reaction to those who are not immune to it. Find the source, preferably the area where it is wet and has oxygen circulating on the place. My home remedy would be to wash it with detergent mixed with apple cider vinegar and water. But it's better to have the house tested for molds that cannot be discovered somewhere.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Need any advice for old Victorian house

    if it's determined that you have mold, do not treat it yourself. have it professionally removed. after they do the removal they will test it again and again until there's no sign of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •