+ Reply to Thread

Question Why is Bathroom FLOOR Tile Cracking: Repair or Replace

Hello!

Recently my bathroom floor has been squeaking. The toilet felt like it was dropping 1/4" every time I sat down. Contractor fixed for Free last week. But just before he fixed that, the floor in outer sink area began to crack. Contractor says it is the weather. I have never had a floor that cracked becuz of weather before. So, do I repair or replace the floor? Will a flooring company do small fixes? Will this fix it for life or just until next year? Yes it is the actual tile that is cracking not the grout.

Default Re: Why is Bathroom FLOOR Tile Cracking: Repair or Replace

first off, if the floor is squeaking that leads me to believe that the subfloor is nailed to the joists with no adhesive. that's problem #1 that can't be fixed unless the tile floor is replaced.

now, if the subfloor is moving when you step on it, eventually it will break apart the mortar which holds the tile down causing the tile to make a clicking sound when you step on it.

solution.....sorry to tell you this but in my opinion the tile floor has to be replaced. but prior to replacing the tile floor the subfloor issue has to be addressed. once the subfloor is structurally sound and properly supported by the joists, then you can install hardibacker over that followed by the tile.

What he said plus;

Your subfloor needs serious attention.The tile and toilet get removed to see what you have.

Head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum where you can start your own thread, post pictures, and use the handy dandy deflecto-meter to see if your floor joists are adequate for tiling.

I think your ground hasn't hold the titles strongly. You should be enforcing your contractor to get it replaced. They generally try to avoid resources, time and money on old customers. So, you should stand strong to get it replaced.

Yes, you need to remove the basin and W/C at least, remove the tiles and floor boards. There should have been at least 6 mm plywood in place under the tiles previously, if not then you may get away with just installing fresh ply and tiling over.

If it's a wooden floor, which I assume it is, be sure to use flexi grout.

If you suspect faulty or weak floor joists it's possible to have them braced to put the strength back in because replacing joists is obviously expensive.

Hope that helps.
    For tips and advice on Hidden Content head to DHI today.