+ Reply to Thread

Question Little multi-base sander worth purchasing? Stripping 90 year old staircase

Hi,
    I have undertaken the task of stripping off 90 years of paint and stain (and now I am wondering if the goo at the bottom is actually a kind of wax). I have been using a heat gun, and then sanding (first trying the citrus stripper was a mess, although it is looking from my reading here that I should try it again after using the heat gun, which worked very well (except I have to do more sanding since it blistered the balasters, which were ok, and the molding on the other side, as well as the risers).

Anyway, I first had a square palm sander, which I didn't think was all that great. I bought a random orbit sander, which is working pretty well where it can reach. But for getting into the edges, I'm wondering if one of those little sanders (almost looks like a mouse, but apparently has different attachments like finger and small disc). I've seen one by B&D. But I'm wondering if it really removes much, and gets into tight corners and around the balusters. I know I'll continue to have to do some hand sanding, especially into the coves under the edges, but this is a big, long job. I've been at it for a while now, a little at a time, and want to see some nice clean, newly painted risers and trim, and stained treads, as well is be finished with the sanding mess, soon!

I'm trying to get down to bare wood (I'm ok with some imperfection due to age of house) as I want to have the option of staining rather than painting.

Thank you

Default Re: Little multi-base sander worth purchasing? Stripping 90 year old staircase

If I were you I would go with an oscillating tool such as Fein Mutimaster or one made by Bosch, Rockwell, or even Dremel. You will get a lot more use out of the tool that those small pointed sanders.

The gummy paint you are dealing with may he Hide based paint. Do a web search on removing Hide Glue for some possible help.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Little multi-base sander worth purchasing? Stripping 90 year old staircase

There are many good detail sanders on the market at reasonable prices now. When you talk about stair corners I would look to a detail scrap er that you can find on line or a woodworking store or catilog. Just keep the scrap er sharp and you will find it gets right into the corners and will leave a nice smooth surface behind but remember go with the grain. Please post back and let us know what you choose and how your project worked out.
    Last edited by BobVila; 11-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Any quality tool is worth buying, if you are going to use it on a regular basis. Tools which sit on the shelf collecting dust are a waste of money...unless of course you are related to Buffet.

Smile Re: Little multi-base sander worth purchasing? Stripping 90 year old staircase

Thanks very much for the replies and suggestions. I will report back. I am a clueless neoophyte, and am definitely undertaking work on this house on my own since I don't have a fraction of the funds behind Buffet. Indeed, I hesitated to go out and buy another sander as I am familiar with the tools collecting dust... to whit a router I figured I should have since my ex-husband had one and saw it listed as a necessary tool in a couple of projects I have since forgotten about (not having done), and a mitre-saw for the vast quantity of molding I am someday going to install.
    More research is in order on the sanding tools. I did buy a nice sc****r with various edges which is helpful and am going to try the stripper again on the stairs that have most of the material off already. Going to try to make headway tomorrow.