+ Reply to Thread

Default How to Soundproof Walls that Don't Extend to Ceiling

I live in a loft-style apartment. The interior walls (the walls that create the bedrooms) don't extend all the way up to the ceiling -- there's a two foot gap between the tops of the walls and the ceiling. So it's not soundproofed at in the least.

I'm thinking of getting some sort of soundproof, translucent panels of some sort of material that I can cut to size and then using that to extend the walls the rest of the way to the ceiling. Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations as to materials? I want it to be translucent (or transparent) because I don't want to make the rooms any darker.

Default Re: How to Soundproof Walls that Don't Extend to Ceiling

I'd like to know if your plan is going to work. Write back after you do it.

In my experience, you need a solid wall to achieve some kind of soundproofing.

Nicholas,

I doubt that a single layer of ridgid material would give significant help in reducing noise. It would be like a window with only single glazing. A double layer of the material with dead air space between would be more affective, but would not make it really soundproof. It would again be likened to a double glazed window in reducing noise from the outside, alot better than single glazed, but still not soundproof.

for soundproofing you have to do a series of things.. typically either rockwool insulation or spray foam is the first thing. secondly 5/8 drywall
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Egg crates. Make friends with a local diner and get the paper bottom from the flats that hold a couple dozen eggs. They wont be pretty, but it'll help.

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, though, the barrier doesn't need to be entirely soundproof -- it just has to be better than the current situation, where you can hear everything. Thoughts?

"Thoughts?"

Yes, read answers #2 to #5 again.

Good luck.