+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a tile floor in an 1800's kitchen

We have a farm house that dates back to the mid to late 1800's - we'd like to tile the kitchen floor (which is currently holding at least 1 subfloor and 2 layers of other types of flooring). Are there tiles on the market that are more light weight than others? Tile is what we want, but we don't want to add a ton of weight to the structure of our house, either.

Default Re: Adding a tile floor in an 1800's kitchen

if your floor is not structurally sound then any tile, even lighter tile, will eventually crack or pop up. any tile floor has to be about 100% rigid to properly support tile. there are minimum requirements for the allowable flexibility (deflection) of any floor depending on the type of tile you are installing. doing what you mentioned in your post "appears" to be asking for problems down the road. my advice and the advice of most others on here is to do it right the first time or down the road you'll end up spending more money in the long run when it comes time to fix a bad tile job.

You have to determine your floor's deflection, and one way to figure that out is to go to johnbridgetileforum. You will need to know your joist size to plug into the formula and the result will tell you whether or not your floor will be able to carry the additional weight.

Great information, thanks for your insight

Let me just add this: If you know how your floor is constructed you could sometimes tell if you're safe with tiles.

I'm finishing a bathroom remodel right now, and when I did the new tile floor, I didn't have to calculate the deflection, cause the sub floor was built for heavy duty flooring.

Curious... I've put random width planks down as flooring in many rooms in my house and that seemed heavy. How much heavier would tile really be, if at all?

If you do tile, pick a lighter color or every crumb on the floor will be noticeable. I made that mistake with dark cherry in the kitchen.