+ Reply to Thread

Default Backsplash Caulking Behind Sink

We replaced the caulking around our countertop backsplash. All the caulking is fine except for a 10-inch section directly behind the sink. We have tried re-caulking it twice and it happens each time. We cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and it sticks to the painted drywall but not to the formica countertop. We are using DAP Kwik SealPlus. Are we using the wrong type of caulk or applying it wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Backsplash Caulking Behind Sink

In that area a 100% silicone is ideal. Clean the area with denatured alcohol, let dry thoroughly (use a vacuum or air hose if there's setting water) then caulk.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In that area a 100% silicone is ideal. Clean the area with denatured alcohol, let dry thoroughly (use a vacuum or air hose if there's setting water) then caulk.
    I go the other way, silicone isn't good for much of anything, IMHO. It will fail just as readily as any other type of caulk, with the added drawback of now it will be impossible to get anything INCLUDING silicone to stick to the area.

I stick to latex caulks that can be removed and replaced. In my experience, they last just as long as silicone products with the added benefit of being able to repair/replace the caulk as needed and regain a water tight seal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Your problem is a wide spread one.

The way to treat it is by cleaning the area well, dry it completely and apply new caulking. The one you used is the right one, but you must let it dry, according to the label, before you start using the faucet. Using the faucet too early will cause the caulking to fail again.

We have cleaned the area well, and let it dry. After applying the new caulking we have let it dry completely before using the faucet. Is there any other ideas you may have for why it's not working? Thanks.