+ Reply to Thread

Default Sanding original wood floors

I'd like to start off by saying I just recently purchased my first home and it was built in 1903. I have already put a lot of work into it already and just now decided to so some floor work. I tore up the carpet and underlayment and found beautiful hardwood floor. I'd like to sand it down and finish it but I'm on a tight budget. I know it'll be time consuming sanding it by hand instead of renting a floor sander but different I do do it by hand should I use a sanding block or would I be OK using an orbital hand sander? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Default Re: Sanding original wood floors

Sanding by hand will leave VERY uneven results. BTDT. Pro's use the large floor sanders for a reason.

Much appreciated! I was afraid that's what the answer would be but I was just hoping it was mainly to conserve time which I have plenty of. Is it the same guidelines as any other type of sanding ex: going with the grain? The way the floors are now I can see that being a pain.

Yes it can be done with a hand RO sander if it is in good shape and you are only removing old finish. If it needs more than that renting a floor RO sander at the rental will cost less that the discs needed for the hand RO sander.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have been refinishing longleaf pine floors from 1912, and the 30 some odd dollars per day for the floor sander are well worth it... I used the orbital to get out a few deep scratches and then went over with the floor sander to even it out. If you plan well and do your prep you can do a huge area in one day with the floor sander... I was able to get about 2500sq feet done in one rental day, because we prepped the floors before getting the sander. Im sure you could get even more done if you knew what you were doing, we were learning as we went, haha.

If you use an orbital it will be extremely hard to get it even, and you'll be able to see an odd pattern, plus as a previous response said, the money you spend on orbital discs will likely be higher than the price of the rental.

using a orbital will take days and days and days. using a floor sander will take one day and far less sand paper.. rent the machine get it done in a weekend
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Before you refinish, make sure you check out the depth of the floor boards. It's not too likely, but in some cases these floors have been refinished several times and the floor boards have gotten thin. If this is the case, you don't want to sand them down and make them even thinner.
    Steve Rogers

Remodeling University
    The Best Remodeling Education Available
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by remodelinguniversity View Post
    Before you refinish, make sure you check out the depth of the floor boards. It's not too likely, but in some cases these floors have been refinished several times and the floor boards have gotten thin. If this is the case, you don't want to sand them down and make them even thinner.
    *** that's something I never considered.

WAIT- you want to be proud of your floors . I would get a professional job done . The large floor sanders are difficult to control . If you stay even a second two long in any one place you will remove too much wood . This might not be evident until you stain the floor . If you can live with them now then save whatever you need to and then hire a pro . I'm all for saving money by DIY ;but this is an area that I would not want to attempt . My neighbor did her floors herself and , well , even though she says" it came out o-k and I saved allot of money " . UH Ya . But ,if you're game then good luck .

Quote Originally Posted by tooltrader View Post
    WAIT- you want to be proud of your floors . I would get a professional job done . The large floor sanders are difficult to control . If you stay even a second two long in any one place you will remove too much wood . This might not be evident until you stain the floor . If you can live with them now then save whatever you need to and then hire a pro . I'm all for saving money by DIY ;but this is an area that I would not want to attempt . My neighbor did her floors herself and , well , even though she says" it came out o-k and I saved allot of money " . UH Ya . But ,if you're game then good luck .
    RO floor sanders are available at most tool rentals and eliminates the problems of digging into the flooring.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb