+ Reply to Thread

Default moss on asbestos roof

We have an old (1930's) rustic log cabin summer home with an asbestos roof. The house had many, many trees around it for years & lots of moss grew on the roof. All the trees are now gone & the house has been getting straight sun for the last 4 years. Due to sun exposure, the moss has died, but is still there. My insurance company is now giving me a hard time - calling it "mold" on the roof.
    Any ideas what to do? We have no leaks- no problems inside. One roofer told us to leave it alone a few years back, but the ins. agent says it's unacceptable.

Default Re: moss on asbestos roof

Using a garden hand held sprayer, spray some 100% bleach on the mold, wait 20 minutes and call your insurance man. Tell him to bring a camera, because the mold, moss or mildew will disappear.

Asbestos tiles break fairly easily. Don't walk on them.

By now we know your insurance person is an idiot. Is there someone above him who can correct the situation? Your roofer was correct. The moss isn't doing anything to the roof.

Thank you for your replies & suggestions. I will try the bleach solution when summer rolls around.
    And, yes- my insurance agent is not helpful at all! To make matters worse, we have a tree on the cabin from Hurricane Sandy. Electric Co. just cut it off power lines last Wednesday, so now we have to make a claim & go through insurance for the rest of the job. Hopefully, all will go smoothly. I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't attach.
    By the way- the tree crews working there in upstate NY are from Houston! must have been 20 trucks. They were looking pretty tired!

Its our pleasure. We gets lots of help when our hurricanes come, so its only right to return the favor.

I am quite sure that linemen enjoy iced tea and thank you's since they are so far from home. The crews normally work 12-16 hour days as there isn't much else for them to do and as pretty as the fall foliage is, they want to get home eventually.