+ Reply to Thread

Default How to make kitchen island smaller

I have a custom made 90" kitchen island, consisting of 3 sets of doors/drawers, that I would like to make smaller. I want to remove one set of doors/drawers. How to I go about doing this? Do I cut out the middle section of doors/drawers and somehow put the two end sections together? Or do I cut one section off the end and somehow reattach the end. This island is made of oak. I would much appreciate if someone could give me some input or links to sites that would explain this.

Thanks.

Don

Default Re: How to make kitchen island smaller

Don,

Was the cabinet made as an on site one piece unit or is it a couple of factory made pieces screwed together?

what i would do is to bring the island, minus the countertop, to a local cabinet shop and let them do the work. that way when it's all done it will look like a nice new cabinet with a matching finish on all sides. it will cost considerably less than buying a new one.

Unless you are a superb finished carpenter/cabinet builder, with the right equipments and tools, don't touch the cabinet. Take it over to a custom shop, as MLB said.

Great advice that the best way to do it would be to take it to a custom cabinet shop. If that's not an option, the only other way to go would be to check if they are separate sections of cabinets that were put together. If that's the case, you may be able to separate them.
    Steve Rogers

Remodeling University
    The Best Remodeling Education Available
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content