+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foul odor after loud noise during shower

While taking a shower this morning, I suddenly heard a loud noise that I couldn't identify. It lasted a few seconds. I continued my shower without incident but a few minutes later, after drying off, noticed an increasingly foul odor. I turned the fan on in the bathroom and left if for about a half hour or so. The smell dissipated and when my daughter took a long shower later, all was well. No noises; no smell. That was about 5 hours ago. Do I need to do anything at this point?
    Thanks for any help!
    deb

Default Re: Foul odor after loud noise during shower

Deb,

Was anyone else in the house at the same time of the odor? Was there smell anywhere else? Was the sound metallic or plastic?

Well first thing is that your fan should be on while taking a shower to get the humidity out of the bathroom so that mold doesn't develop and leave it on for about 1/2 hour after your shower. SOme people even have a timer switch on their fan so it shuts off automatically and they don't have to remember to go back and shut it off.

Second is that I usually just blame the dog if there is a loud noise and then a bad smell.

I always have the fan on while I shower and leave it on for 1/2 an hour or so. That is not the issue at all here.

The odor was just in the bathroom and just for a short while. There's been no reoccurrence.

Not sure if the sound was plastic or metallic...

The nature of the aroma would be helpful too.

Sweet burnt/metallic odor is indicative of electrical burning.
    Dead animals have their own odor
    Inconsiderate husbands definitely have their own odor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Definitely a sewage smell.

That definitely sounds like an inconsiderate husband.

More than likely there was a "burp" in either the toilet or sink that allowed sewer gases to enter the bathroom. That would be a blockage in a vent stack, which if you've neither had the problem before or since, would seem odd.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Was it windy outside that day?

It wasn't particularly windy yesterday.
    It did sounds like it was coming more from the direction of the shower or that way than from the sink or toilet.
    A "burb" sounds like it. What should I do if it was something like that?

If you fill up your sink, then pull the plug, does the water go down smoothly or does it make a loud sucking sound?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.