+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot Water

Hybrid View

Question Hot Water

We live in a 65 year old house in New Jersey. During the winter months, the hot water does not seem to last as it should. This seems to correlate with the heater running. If you can hear the heater running, then you're almost guaranteed 2 minutes of hot water before it turns cold. Eventually, if you're in the shower for 10+ minutes, the hot water will return again, but minutes 2-9 are cool if not freezing. We have an oil furnace, installed 2005. I don't see a hot water tank anywhere near the furnace, so is it possible we don't have one? We've experienced this problem ever since the new furnace was installed in 2005. During summers, we have gloriously hot showers, but as soon as we start running the heater, the cold showers return. This also happens in the kitchen, so the problem is not isolated to the upstairs shower. I doubt it has to do with pipe insulation because as I said, the first few minutes of winter showers are warm, then fade to cold, and eventually turn warm again.

Has anyone else had this problem? What could be causing it?

Default Re: Hot Water

You'll need to tell us a little more about your heater. Look for a label, and a water storage tank of some sort, even if its inside a square burner box.

I concur with HoustonRemodeler----many hot water showers and kitchen taps are not fed by a separate hot water heater next to the furnace/boiler---sometimes they're hidden inside the boiler housing or the furnace ducting and have limited hot water output of a gallon or so.

Could you tell us what kind of heating you have----do you have hot water radiators, or baseboard (a boiler); or do you have floor or wall registers where the hot air comes out for heat (a furnace)???

As HR noted, is there a LABEL somewhere on the front of the furnace/boiler that indicates the brand name, the amount of heating output, etc; please post any info you can copy down.

Have you had a local heating service technician over the house recently to see if the system could be adjusted to get a little more hot water out of the showers by making a simple adjustment???

Can you upload/post any photos to this site of the front of the boiler/furnace???
    Last edited by Pelton; 11-06-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Thank you both for the quick response.

I tried to upload images, but unfortunately there was an error in attaching them, so I hope the below information is enough.

Our heater is an OWT Boiler, Model No. OWT-4.
    Series No. 1
    I=B=R Input
    LT Oil, gph....... 1.10 1.25

D.O.E. Hg. Cap.
    (Water) Btu/h....a 129,000 145,000

Net I=B=R Rating
    (Water) Btu/h....a 112,000 126,000

MAWP, Water PSI.....a 50

Min. Relief Valve Cap. LB/HR or MBH... 145

Maximum Water Temp F..............a 250

There is a tank strapped into the ceiling above the boiler, but the tank does not appear to be connected to anything and may be from an old system.

We have under the window radiators where hot air comes out.

We have not had a technician out to look at the system. I am not the homeowner, but I'm trying to gather information to convince the homeowner that it's not normal to have 2 minutes of hot water available.

Thanks!!

oh, you're renting?

Is there an old service tag giving a hint of the last time it was cleaned somewhere on this beast?

I'm gonna guess it hasn't been cleaned since there was a balanced federal budget. The tank and pipes can become quite clogged.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 11-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.

I'm not renting...it's my parents house. Unfortunately, they are not the most responsible when it comes to household maintenance, so as a 20-something still living at home, I do my best to encourage them to take care of things sooner rather than later.

Case in point: Dad says the boiler hasn't been cleaned since it was installed in December of 2005