+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil based primer does not seem to cure

I am trying to prime new double humg window sashes I built from Poplar. I am using an oil based primer from Sherman Williams but it is not setting up as I expect it to. The can says no thinning is needed so I first tried priming with it without thinning. it went on prettyh thick and after 5 days still was soft. I could peel it off with my thumb nail. So I removed it all (a big job) and decided to try thinning the primer 3 parts primer and one part laquer thinner. This time I tried it on a new piece of pine I had on hand so I would not have to sand if things did not work out. Primer still seemed thicker than I expected. After 24 hrs. the primer is not hard. I tried lightly sanding but primer would easily come completely off the wood. DThe wood does not seem to be soaking it up at all.

What am I doing wrong? The temp is between 60 and 75 degrees in my shop and humidity is moderate only.

Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Oil based primer does not seem to cure

Sounds like bad paint to me.

Zinsser makes a superior oil based primer that dries in one hour. Just sayin..

Thanks so much Houstonremodeler. I'll give Zinser a try

Two other things to consider. 1 wood needs to be sanded before painting to remove the oxidized layer. 2 Is the wood you are using dry. Most lumber yard wood contains a high moisture content.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi JLMCDANIEL,

The wood is rough cut poplar I purchased from Woodcraft. Expensive stuff. I ran it through my jointer, planner, table saw, and router. Then I sanded finished product with 120 grit paper. Te lumber appears to be well cured (at least it doesn't feel wet and is not excessively heavy). Also, no moisture is evident throughout the milling and shapping process.

Am I missing anything?

Sounds like you are doing it right. Could be jou got some primer improperly mixed or that had frozen. I have never had a problem with SW paints or primer, but have had with some suppliers.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Everyone makes bad product once in a while.

Thanks guys,
    It really helps to have experienced advice. As a novice I simply do not have the experience to point my finger at the problem. Everything is suspect to me... ie..snading grit, paint selection, primer selection, how long to expect paint to cure.... Your confirmation of my process makes it work for me

James