+ Reply to Thread

Default Environmental hazard of removing 155 yr old floorboards

Just moved into a 155 yr old house. Second level has original pine floorboards which are in bad shape. Lots of wide gaps, holes, chipped wood, etc. I am worried that we could be exposing ourselves to a potential hazard by removing the boards ourselves without understanding what is below the floor, and what may be on the boards themselves (can wood stain have contained lead back in the day? Have a lead test kit for paint, not floors).

Reason we are questioning a potential hazard or problem is we are currently working with a pest control company as I, not my husband, have been getting bit every day for the past 10 days on my legs. Lost track of the # of bites. Pest control person has searched for bed bugs, fleas, spiders, etc...nothing. Glue traps placed around bed, sofas, etc...nothing. The previous owners were far from clean and I am concerned that my constant cleaning and sanitizing may be disrupting something like fleas. We will likely need to apply a flea control (or some other treatment) and I'm hoping that would kill anything that may be living in the boards, but it wouldn't tackle any environmental/toxic hazards.

Any tips or suggestions?

Default Re: Environmental hazard of removing 155 yr old floorboards

the floorboards probably do contain lead from old polyurethane but you can test that with the lead test kit that you alrady purchased. you can remove the floorboards without worrying about contamination but if the boards are going to be cut up or smashed up then lead particles can become airborne.