+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting lap siding

I've been painting my daughters house over the year. The house is brick, wood trim and fiberboard (cement?) for the dormer ends. I have finished all the trim. The dormer ends are all that is left to do. I have been doing everything with a brush.

I am looking for an alternative to the brush on the dormers. It is lap siding fiberboard, so the laps are not too thick, about 1/4" or so. I don't relish going up and down the constantly to do a couple square feet at a time. I know I will need to use a brush to cut in the edges next to the trim. Will a thick nap roller for textured surfaces get right up into the area where the laps meet and overlap? What about pads.

Default Re: Painting lap siding

use a roller, 100x faster than using a brush.. keep the brush handy though for cutting in, just be sure to use a roller thats for rough surfaces .. it will get into more spots and hold more paint
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks, you think that the roller can cover under the lip of each lap and right up to the top of each one, under the lip of the one above? Although I don't like going up and down the ladder constantly, by bigger concern with doing it by brush is that on a ladder, I can only do a few square feet at a time.

Every time I have to come down and reposition the ladder, the paint will skin over so when I get back up to do the next section, the skinned over paint will all ball up when I try to overlap the paint. I had that problem with the trim so I had to stop painting when the weather got hot as the paint skinned over too quickly.

I like these new paints but I think they dry a little too fast. Seems like the paints of xx years ago didn't skin over that fast, you had more working time.

I would use a 3" corner roller. You can get longer one, though a 3" is most versatile for all types of painting.

A corner roller has the roller nap rolled over the end so that it paint's both the flat and the vertical at the same time. It also forces paint down into the corner. At the very least you can use the roller to get the material onto and spread around on the wall, then use a brush to lay it off and make it pretty.

I would recommend the use of scaffolding to be able to do larger areas at a time. It's fairly inexpensive to rent, or you could stretch a plank between two ladders, just make sure those ladders are set properly and firmly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Painting lap siding

Keith,

When I ladder such areas, I use a five gallon bucket with a paint grid in it suspended off the side of the extension ladder with a pot hook. I use a 7inch roller frame with a 1/2 inch knap roller cover. The "hook" on the handle of the roller handle allows it to hang on the top of the grid while you are cutting in with the brush.

When you are working off a ladder, you are in effect a one handed painter. One hand is holding the ladder, the other is holding either the roller OR the brush. What do you do with the brush while you are holding the roller? I drive a small finishing nail into the brush handle just above the metal ferrule. I then take a pliers and bend the nail downward to form a hook. The brush can now be hung on the side of the bucket while you are rolling.

A 7 inch roller will just fit the reveal of the lap on HardiePlank. The area under the lap will have to be brushed in. I back brush everything.

Normally, I would use two ladders with jacks and a Stinson plank between them. However, when working up high, I did not feel comfortabel on a narrow plank and would ladder the gable area down to a height at which I felt comfortable. ( yes, I know this is not kosher in Canada!) You can bet your life that I always knew if I was working over plain grass or a picket fence!

Scaffolding has crossed my mind. Some issues though, my daughter lives in a subdivision where there are kids, I live about an hour away. I can only work on it on weekends when she is home. I would not feel comfortable leaving scaffolding out where kids can climb on it and putting them up and taking them down will eat up significant time. I do have access to a scaffold, but it is only 8' long but 4' wide.

I have thought of building a simple scaffold without any steps on it. I think I can build on long enough to do one end for less than renting more scaffolding, and just use a ladder for access, hopefully keeping kids off of it.

Even the single section of scaffold will help you greatly. Moving and setting up one section isn't that big of deal in either time nor effort.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Update, I bought a bunch of 2x4s and built scaffolding, 32' of it. I got some 16' 2x6s for the planking. I am going to reuse the 2x6s on my house for the porch railings.

Just to see what would happen, I tried using a thick nap roller and it did not work. I did not try a corner roller. But since I am up on the scaffolding, a 4" brush make short work of it. It takes me about 90 minutes to put on a coat of paint.

No steps on the scaffolding, I use a ladder for access. I just hope that none of the kids in the neighborhood try to play on it, but without a ladder, I don't see them getting up there. I'll take a picture this coming weekend.