+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Best way to cut out floor in room, up against wall

I'd like to cut out all of the floor and start from scratch in my new bathroom. That way I wouldn't have to match up existing floor thickness with new floor thickness. The old floor is lumber with pressed MDF type stuff and tile. Pieces of it are cut out already from the plumbing rough in and HVAC.

A circular saw wouldn't get all the way up against the edge. I can't find a toe kick saw to rent locally. Anything else I can do?

Default Re: Best way to cut out floor in room, up against wall

Consider an oscillating tool such as the one from Fein, Bosh,or Rockwell. Buy extra blades.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I've always used a sawzall for such things.

A word of caution, walls rarely fall on joists, so what you're proposing will likely require adding support framing along the walls. Basically, you can bridge joist bays to support the wall and remaining floor, however, you will also need to support the edge between the new and old floors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

start the cut with a circ saw but be sure to set the depth of the blade. then finish with a oscilator.. if you do go with a recip use the shortest blade possible.

reason being that the floors of bathrooms are full of pipes and wires. the last thing you want to have to do is open up more of the floor or the ceiling below to repair cut pipes or wires
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You can also use an undercut / jamb saw set to flush, then hold the saw against the wall with the blade cutting the flooring. We've used this method many times. You can set the blade depth to a smidge below the plywood to minimize the risks of cutting blindly.

What ever tool you use, use your brain first and know where you're cutting.

Since almost every homeowner has a rec saw, use that, with a short blade, like mentioned before.