+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Codes

Default Re: Stupid Codes

On the subject of handicap cards:

Law enforcement officers caught fake/borrowed/misused handicap cards at a local university (UCLA): they were used by UCLA team athletes and other fully able students, to park in premium parking spots.

The same is happening at post offices, shopping centers and everywhere else where parking is tight.

Fines for misusing handicap cards start at $375.

The State shouldn't be so liberal in handing out those cards.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Here is one that has always bugged me. Gas water heaters that are in the garage must be 18" off the floor. The reason being is gasoline fumes if present, is down near the floor and the flame from the heater could ignite them. (That I understand) But they allow a gas dryer to sit on that same floor.
    Couldn't agree more. It's hard to lower and raise a 50 gal tank off the stand, if you're working alone. Besides, today's water heaters have flame guards.

They always add new codes, never remove old codes that don't make sense or no longer practical.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Now, this instance isn't really about stupid codes, it is about a failed inspection system. None-the-less, it furthers my long standing rant that the requirement of permits is NOT for occupant safety, as it should be, it is about revenue generation for the municipality. Permits are also grossly expensive, another clue that it's about the money and not public safety.
    Exactly!! I cannot agree more I live in probably the most permit-requiring cities in the country, It is pretty ridiculous, for example one of my friend's daughters was once shut down because she was running an "illegal business" for having a lemonade stand and not having the proper permit (mind you she was 8 and the officer made her pack up and go inside) now that is just one example but the whole permit system is nothing other than a way for the local government to make a few bucks.

Oh and this thread also reminds me of a property that I was recently looking at. In my area we have a code that if stairs have more than 4 treads then they need at least one arm rail. Well, in this particular property it evidently did not have the arm rails so in order to "bring it up to code they tacked three 2x4s together and then tacked it to the runner using two roofing tacks (you can imagine how sturdy it was) but apparently that was "up to code" and had passed a safety inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Doug18 View Post
    Oh and this thread also reminds me of a property that I was recently looking at. In my area we have a code that if stairs have more than 4 treads then they need at least one arm rail. Well, in this particular property it evidently did not have the arm rails so in order to "bring it up to code they tacked three 2x4s together and then tacked it to the runner using two roofing tacks (you can imagine how sturdy it was) but apparently that was "up to code" and had passed a safety inspection
    If built as described, the rail still doesn't meet code even if it passed. Minimum loading requirements apply & I doubt if roofing nails would do it.

Just reading old topics- got one to add. I was recently called on to build a few temporary structures- a door landing, a couple small stairs and a few handrails- just to get a property to pass code so the owner could get a CO. The next day I was back out there removing them. The tough part was figuring out how to attach these with minimal damage to the house while still being strong enough to not fail inspection. One lower newel was simply a 2X4 stake driven into the ground (PT lumber of course- not that it really mattered!) and screws attached to brick moldings since we didn't want to put holes in the vinyl siding. Everyone (except the GC who had to spend a couplke hundred out of his pocket) was happy but if anyone falls the insurance company is going after the GC- I had no contract and was paid in cash so I was never there- I swear it!

Phil