+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing window in shower, opinions?

We would like to install a high window in a shower. I was planning to use an Anderson 100 "vinyl" window, tile right up to the window surface (and slant the stool for drainage), and make sure to caulk well. We don't like the look of glass block, and would like the window to open.

Is there anything else I can to to make sure the window and wall stays water free?

Default Re: Installing window in shower, opinions?

Any solid vinyl window will work well. Be sure to integrate the shower waterproofing to the vinyl window.

For the best information on shower construction, head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. Tell them we said hello.

Excellent idea.

many home buyers are specifically looking for windows in bathrooms making them very popular.

Even if you are not thinking about selling, in my opinion, a window in a bathroom is a must. I just can't stand those fans, silent or noisy, I can't stand them.

The brand? the one you mentioned is fine. More important than the brand is the proper installation, because a faulty job will give you a lot of headache in the future.

What Brand would some recommend? And what is the best way to measure the opening? Being the Window and trim are still in place not sure what is the best way to order a window and removing the trim could lead to water seeping in to the opening. Just trying to get a window ordered that will fit. The exterior is old aluminum siding and cannot afford to replace it just yet?

Just trying to get some info.

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Quote Originally Posted by MMeehan View Post
    What Brand would some recommend? And what is the best way to measure the opening? Being the Window and trim are still in place not sure what is the best way to order a window and removing the trim could lead to water seeping in to the opening. Just trying to get a window ordered that will fit. The exterior is old aluminum siding and cannot afford to replace it just yet?

Just trying to get some info.

Thanks,
    MMeehan
    What brand? see above answers.
    How to measure? when you order a window you go by "rough opening" not by what you see as a finished window. So depending on how your window surround is finished, that's how you determine the correct size. Just a note: most windows in tract homes are standard sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What brand? see above answers.
    How to measure? when you order a window you go by "rough opening" not by what you see as a finished window. So depending on how your window surround is finished, that's how you determine the correct size. Just a note: most windows in tract homes are standard sizes.
    This is true for "new construction" windows, in MMeehan's case a "retrofit" window would be more appropriate.

For a rough price, just measure the finished opening and call a few window shops. If you decide to get it done, then you have the glass company come out and do the measuring.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Vinyl window should work best if you want to install it in the bathroom. There are a lot of options available ******. You can search the best window possible at a good rate and get it fixed too. A lot of ****** windows and doors stores do it for you.

In CT code requires it be tempered glass. We just had one done last summer with an addition project and the window had to be special ordered because of the tempered requirement.

Not sure what Standard is being my house was built in late
    1940's and there is little that is "standard" as to what is a Standard now. Being it is a taller window. As time goes on what is in my current home is very different than what is in my fathers house that was built in the late 1950's. So over time many sizes are not the same. Like bath tubs they also vary in size.

Looks like I will have to pull off the wood trim around the windows to get the measurements. Was hopeing not too and when I had a few companies come in that took measurements for new windows they did not have the trim removed... So I thought maybe there was a way to get the size without removing the trim.

Guess not...

Thanks but I am not up on what is really available as to windows and what materials / colors are available from inside of one to the outside. Guess it is all more searching...

Thanks again...

MMeehan

I recommend you purchase from anyone but a big box store, you know the big Orange or Blue places. Although they may sell brand name they are not manufactured by the brand name suppliers as well for the big box guys. Think about Ford or GM building cars for Budget rental. All the vehicles are run through in record time!

There may be some sticker shock for a small window especially since you will need to go with tempered. Each pane must be cut then sent out, then assembled. This is a custom window. There are standard windows that are tempered but as stated I don't think this is a standard window.

Get a rough measurement without removing the window, shop arounf