+ Reply to Thread

Default Laminate Over Solid Wood Cabinets

I have older solid wood cabinets that I am looking to replace as part of a kitchen remodel. It appears as part of a face lift in the past the previous owner had laminate installed over the face of the frames and doors. Because of this the entire row of 4 or 5 cabinets are now joined by a strip of laminate on the face. Is there any way of salvaging these cabinets so they can be donated? The only thing I can think of is to find all of the seams and cut the laminate first before taking them down.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Laminate Over Solid Wood Cabinets

If you want to salvage the veneer, then yes, you'll need to find the cabinet segments and cut the veneer along the seams. This should be a fairly easy task because you can look for the screws in the edges of the face frame where the cabinets are joined. Start by looking for wider segments where two doors are hinged from.

The veneer can be anything from 1/16" to 1/8" and can be cut with a sharp utility knife. Remove the doors and hinges out of the way so that you can clamp a straight edge to follow.

You may find that these cabinets have more value to you in your garage, shop, or tool shed. Do you have a crafting/hobby room? They would go well in there too.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!