+ Reply to Thread

Default Attaching TREX to an existing Concrete patio

I want to lengthen my nearly new concrete patio by about 4 feet. This is no problem I can frame this. BUT i want to put TREX decking over the entir pation to make it uniform. My question is what is the best way to attch the TREX decking to the concrete pad? Add furring strips to the top of the concrete with tapcons and then put the TREX on top of that? Can I glue the TREX directly to the concrete patio? What Glue is recommended? Can I glue the TREX and tapcon the trex directly to the concrete patio? Yes, this is an outdoor application. Your advice please. Thanks. Bill

Default Re: Attaching TREX to an existing Concrete patio

you got it right the first time. attach furring strips to the concrete with tapcons and use the correct screws to attach the decking to the furring strips.

yup. yer gonna have to use furring strips.. adhesive will only hold for so long in a exterior application
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I've used pressure treated 1x4 and attached them to the concrete with powder actuated nailer and attached a fascia board around the edge to hide the old concrete and the pressure treated wood.

Attaching 1x or 2x sleepers to the concrete is probably the easiest way. Const adhesive will never work!

A few yrs ago a guy I worked around on a commercial project"sheetrocker" asked me if screwing down hat channel (resiliant channel)to the concrete for sleepers would work and allow for drainage under the decking. The more I thought about it I decided yeah I guess it would if you attached it correctly. There was a ton of hat channel left after the project was completed. He took it home to do his deck. Not sure if he ever tried it.

You might want to look into locking composite deck tiles. Ive seen them before just never used them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni74cMa8fKs

http://vastpavers.com/products/compo...nformation.php
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content