+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screens

Default Screens

We just bought a cute 1940 bungalow in upcountry South Carolina and the house has no window screens. Many of the windows are still the old double hung sash type windows. Were screens an option for those type of windows? Any suggestions on where to find some? Thanks.

Default Re: Screens

depends on how old exactly the windows are.. if its just teh old wood sashes no. screens werent in them. if there are storm windows on the outside they would have screens in the storms

honestly though if they are as old as you say your much better off replacing them with newer vinyl windows. they will have screens and perform 100x for keeping heat in the house in hte winter
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I'd replace the windows too.

Look around the neighborhood to see what other folks have. Usually these windows had a flat panel screen held in place by 2 flat hooks at the top, which allowed the HO to hang the screens in place. Some sort of spinning latch is used at the bottom to secure.

Try looking up Stanley part # 748000

I'm voting the same. New windows will be a good upgrade.

You guys are killing me with all the "new window" advice! It's a 1940s house with original wood windows! There is no need to replace the windows. The original windows are immensely more valuable to the house than replacements would be! Please don't replace those awesome old wood windows. Restore them and weatherstrip them. Add storms and you get 94% the efficiency of a replacement double pane window with much less cost and no damage to the historic character of the home.

Screens were and still are an option. Historic screens that were most likely on your house were either lost, damaged or trashed at some point in its life. Look above your windows at the exterior trim (on top) and you'll likely see some of the old screen hardware remaining.

If you want historic screen replicas I make them at Austin Home Restorations and so does a friend of ours at Historic Shed. They're usually $150 each and they're a perfect match for an old home like yours.

I think you need to get the whole window stuff - window pane, panel, mirrors. You have to get the whole new window settings as new window structure will not get fitted with such an old architecture.

Yes the old windows look great. They also leak air terribly. Many times the counter weight is broken and they need to be held up with a stick. IF they aren't pained / caulked shut.

You can get solid vinyl windows that look exactly like the old ones. No one will be able to tell unless they touched the surface and knew what they were touching, which eliminates most people.

I'd still say to replace them. Codes for windows and energy requirements are so different than 75 years ago, and new windows meet them. New windows are a good upgrade.

Default Replacement Windows

HoustonRemodeler,
    I know we're off topic a bit but I just wanted to try to encourage a new old home owner to save their original windows. The old wood windows are honestly a superior product to just about anything made today. They are incredibly easy to repair and maintain unlike replacements.

I restore hundreds of old wood windows a year and for a full restoration (strip paint and glazing putty, prime, paint, glaze, restring weights, restore hardware and weatherstrip) we charge on average only $250, depending on how many lights the sash is. Any replacement you buy at that price point will be WAY inferior to the originals.

Check out this link: Replacement Window Myths

In the end the payback time is just too long on replacement windows, which is usually close to 20+ yrs. No other product for your home has that kind of payback period and yet they are still touted as a cost saving measure.

Thanks for all this advice! We only are looking for screens because the original windows were replaced with vinyl windows. We have no idea when this was done and we cannot find a manufacturer's name on any part of the vinyl window frames or glass. The original size was not changed and the hardware to hang a screen or storm is still on the house, that is why we are looking for original type screens.