+ Reply to Thread

Question Will insulation help noise proof?

I have a top floor condo in a 4 story South Boston walk up. The building has 6 roof decks 3 of which are built above our Unit. With the warmer weather we are learning that even with reasonable use of the roof decks the noise takes over our condo, some how amplified. Add in the occasional un-reasonable or late night use and we are going crazy with out sleep.

Will retrofitting additional insulation in our ceiling help buffer the noise? Will our recessed lighting be an issue?

PLEASE let me know your experience & suggested resources

Thanks!
    Katie

Default Re: Will insulation help noise proof?

this is a toughie. the first thing to look at is to see if the roof deck is attached through the roof directly to the framing. most of the roof decks in south boston are floating, meaning that they rest on pads which sit on the roofing material. i built a roof deck on a south boston townhouse last summer and it was a floating roof deck. if it is attached to the framing, it will amplify the noise dramatically and make a simple foot step sound like it's directly on your ceiling. if it is floating, then you should cut a small hole in your ceiling between the joists, big enough that you can take a peek in there with a flashlight and see what kind of insulation you do have. it's pretty simple to patch it up and paint it after. after you can actually see what you have for insulation, write us back and we can go from there. if you're just looking for more info, then there are several ways to remedy it. more insulation, different kinds of noise reducing insulation, a combo of both. alot of the condo's in southie that i've worked on have 2x12 roof framing and that gives you enough room to use a noise blocking insulation and still get plenty of regular fiberglass insulation in there as well. there are alot of different routes you can take but the best thing to do is see what your situation is before you decide on a course of action.

Question Re: Will insulation help noise proof?

*** thanks for the reply it is reassuring to know there are options that will help. We will take a look in the ceiling to determine the extent & type of insulation. However, how can I determine if the roof decks are floating or not?

Thanks so much again for the direction, I am eager to investigate my ceiling! Please keep the insight coming.

Katie

if the corner posts of the roof deck are resting on a block of wood or some other type of material then it's floating, if the corner posts appear to go into the roof, then it's most likely attached to the framing which will amplify the noise.

Hi there MLBSF!

I am still not sure if the deck is floating or not. I can say that it has been torn down and rebuilt in the last year to facilitate roof repair. (Not sure if that provides any hint)

The ceiling has standard pink fiberglass insulation in it with room between the cement board and the insulation.

I am eager to hear your and any one else’s thoughts and suggestions on how we may reduce noise from above as its only getting warmer and warmer and roof decks are more and more in use.

Thanks very much!!!
    Katie

One word...........Move.

Hi NEC,

Thanks for your comment, however I am not in a position to sell or rent my home. Given that information should you have any constructive advice to offer with that in mind I am all ears.

Thanks very much and please any one else with some sound proofing suggestions please let me know!

Katie