+ Reply to Thread

Question Hanging pictures on thick plaster

Other than nails or screws, what is the best way to hang pictures and coat racks on thick plaster walls? Nails or screws only make a big mess. Large holes in the wall and dust all through the house. I am desperate since my house has just been redone with all new paint and all the walls repaired and I want to hang pictures.

Default Re: Hanging pictures on thick plaster

If you don't want to mess with nails and screws, for light to medium weight pictures, look for gorilla hook.

For heavy items, nothing beats nails into the studs.

Thank you for telling me about the Gorilla hangers but there are no studs to find. That is why I need other methods.

Quote Originally Posted by oleredhead View Post
    Thank you for telling me about the Gorilla hangers but there are no studs to find. That is why I need other methods.
    If you don't have framed walls, then what kind of walls do you have?

I'm not good in assumptions. You get quicker and more accurate responses by giving more info up front.

Studs can be very hard to find in plaster walls, especially if the plaster is thick. Stud sensors usually fail to do the job.

Traditionally, plastered walls had a picture rail running parallel to the ceiling. The picture rail had a rounded top profile, and a special hook was used over the rail from which the picture would hang. Of course, this meant that the picture wire was long and visible.

I'll second the Gorilla hooks. You'll probably want to drill a pilot hole rather than trying to push the hook through the plaster. I make my own out of the stainless steel ribs from used windshield wipers. $4.79 for a pair at my local hardware store is an awfully hard price to swallow.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

In the olden days folks used 'picture rail' or 'picture moulding' along the top of the wall, about a foot down from the ceiling. The art is hung from there and can be moves around without any damage.

They are still used in Museums today

I love my picture rail, I just wished I knew what it was when I bought my house. If you are not a fan of exposed wire, just go the the sporting goods store and buy the strongest fishing line they have, you will be good for most things up to 20lb(a 22lb leaded glass window stretched two lengths of my 40lb test line all the way to the floor). You can pain the hooks even.
    Hooks for picture rail can be found in a range of cost from about 2/$1 to a $7 each. I bought inexpensive ones at house of antique hardware as I wanted them in a chrome finish and cheap.

By the way, if your plaster is that thick, it is probably laid out over the wood strip backing, and that wood will probably support a good bit of weight. I would not hang that fancy new TV on it, or a Monet, but if you are hanging something expensive, just suck it up and search for the stud with the trusty drill and have your spackle ready. The holes will be behind the picture anyway.

It is very thick plaster and there are no rail since the roof is rounded down to the wall. i might have to drill into the wall to hang the coat rack. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Looking back, I see this might need clarifying: you don't need to find the studs to use the gorilla hooks. They are supported entirely by the wall material.

They work great with sheetrock. I haven't tried them in plaster. If you can get them through the wood lath (drill a hole) rather than the gap between the lath, it will be stronger.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.