+ Reply to Thread

Default water is gurgling

During a bad storm when rain is heavy, I heard gurgling sound coming out of bathroom sink. Could this be an issue I should be concerned about?

Thank-you

Default Re: water is gurgling

It sounds like your on a septic system that is getting flooded by ground water.

John

I am on a city system. Does the city on a septic system? I wonder if there is no back-up of water am I not to worry?
    Thanks

Just one specific sink? Is it in a basement or an upper floor?

Could be water coming into a soil vent from above and taking a wrong turn or a few other things.

Soil vent has cover over it to keep water from going into it because it leaks. Sink is upstairs but is not used. I do have access to basement. Is this where I should start inspection?Thanks

It sounds like you have may issues with you plumbing. A vent pipe shouldn't be caped. You say you also have a sink that isn't being used. Is the waste line caped on that sink? If not the trap can dry out allowing sewer gas to enter the home. Your should have a qualified plumber look over the system.

John

It sounds like you have may issues with your plumbing. A vent pipe shouldn't be caped. You say you also have a sink that isn't being used. Is the waste line caped on that sink? If not the trap can dry out allowing sewer gas to enter the home. Your should have a qualified plumber look over the system.

John

1. If you have a sink that you hardly use, you should run the water once in a while, just to fill the trap.

2. If you vent leaks, replace it, but don't cover it. If you cover it it can't do its job.

3. Call your local water company for details about the city's sewage system.