+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw

Default Table saw

My Craftsman table saw burnt out. I'm remodeling a house and it went while ripping bamboo floor planks.

To continue the job without interruption, I borrowed a saw from a friend, but I need to get a new one.

But which one this time?

Must be under $500 (yes, the budget is tight).

Default Re: Table saw

A friend has a Ridgid Compact table saw that he swears by.
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.48808...39863&pid=15.1

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A friend has a Ridgid Compact table saw that he swears by.
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.48808...39863&pid=15.1

Jack
    Swears by or swears at?

Sorry, no beneficial input at this time.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I just bought the Makita but it was a tad over $500

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I just bought the Makita but it was a tad over $500
    Makita's table saw is mouthwatering. I've been buying Makita's tools for years and enjoyed their reliability and efficiency.

What about Porter Cable? I lean towards PC and it sells for less than $300, about half the price of Makita.

modern pc is garbage compared to what it was 10 years ago.. thas what happens when black and decker buys you out. cant say much about the makita as i havent used one of their table saws in about 5 years.

the rigids are a bit of a crapshoot.. some of them work out to be worthwhile and a good percentage die really young.

if you want small and powerful your best bet is to get the mini dewalt or bosch, both are very comparible price wise and very reliable. Bosch table saws have been rated as the #1 contractor saw on the market for nearly 10 years or so.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I must say I agree with jkirk. I guess that what happens when a company manufactures Skil power tools. I'm sure you also know that as good as the Bosch saw is, dont forget the importance a good blade makes. Please post back as to what you choose and what influenced your decision. Good Luck on the home renovation.
    Last edited by BobVila; 10-27-2012 at 04:22 PM.

for blades i primarily use diablo blades. i keep the stock blades for mitre saws and table saws for cutting rough lumber. using a $100 blade to rip furring strips out of spruce is a waste of a sharp blade thats better suited for finish material

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    for blades i primarily use diablo blades. i keep the stock blades for mitre saws and table saws for cutting rough lumber. using a $100 blade to rip furring strips out of spruce is a waste of a sharp blade thats better suited for finish material
    Diablo blades seem to last longer in my framing saw, giving me perfect cuts time after time.

yup. reason i like the diablos is they can be sharpend 6 x and only cost slightly more than hte crappy dewalts that are throw aways