+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I safely vent my dryer?

My washer and dryer are in my utility room which is in the center of my house. My house is on a cement slab. Right now, my dryer vent goes up the wall about 8-10 ft, into the attic and across about 10-15 ft to an exterior wall. For a long time the dryer wasn't even hooked up to the vent hose because my clothes would never dry. I know that is not what you want to do but I am a single mom and financially I couldn't really do anything about it. I bought new venting pipe thinking maybe that would help but, as far as I can tell, nothing is plugged up. I've been told to take the vent straight up through the roof. I am not sure I want to do that because I would think that the lint will collect at the bottom and could cause a fire. I have also been told to let it vent into the attic. I don't want to do that due to moisture and that would just cause a whole other problem. I can usually fix things myself but I'm at a loss with this. Does anybody have advice to help me with this problem? I'd appreciate it so much!!

Default Re: How do I safely vent my dryer?

Going up through the roof is the only way I have seen this done. The issue with going to the exterior wall from the attic is that the vent terminates under an eve and that will cause issues.

Chances are you have a clog in the horizontal section in the attic.

Thank you! I will try one more time to see if there is a clog somewhere. If not, I'll have to look into venting the dryer through the roof.

If your close are not drying and the dryer is getting hot enough I would be looking at a restricted dryer vent. What happens when the vent pipe goes through unconditioned space is in the colder months the hot moist dryer air creates condensation on the inside of the dryer vent pipe and because of the cold attic space coupled along with the rise in your vent pipe that reduces the velocity of the exiting air. The condensation acts like glue and the reduced velocity allows the lint to build up inside the vent pipe causing a very limited air flow. It will look as if air is exiting but not to a velocity strong enough to remove the dryer moisture and lint. Your situation is not unique. You may want to make sure all your vent pipe is solid metal and not a flexible corrugated hose, then I would insulate around any dryer vent pipe in the attic space to keep condensation from forming inside the pipe. I believe this will help solve your drying issue. Good luck and please post back with your results.

Thank you for all of the advice. I replaced all of the duct work to the dryer. It is now working fine. What happened was, as Bob Vila said, the dryer lint had gotten wet and was sticking to the sides of the ducts. The opening in the vertical duct work had been narrowed significantly because of that. But it was at the top and in the elbow part where the duct work went from vertical to horizontal as it enters the attic. So it was very hard to see. So just to be on the safe side, I went ahead and replaced all of it. Again, thank you so much!!

it sounds like you have a really long run for the dryer vent. it should be kept as short as possible because the moist air will condensate in the pipe and work its way back downhill

also venting directly into the attic is a serious no no
    fire up the saw and make some dust