+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Painting with mold!

Hi! Thanks for help here! I am attempting to redo my bedroom myself to save some $$. I want to repaint the room, but have had issues in the past about mold growing on my 2 outside walls. It is better than it was - after we replaced the roof and windows, and renewed the insulation. Still, mold does tend to come now and then. Like if u leave something against the wall, or have a bag next to the wall, we can get a black rash of mold. I am hoping running a dehumidifier will help. My plan is to use Kilz as a primer, but I am concerned to put time & $ into painting the room, if there is a way to do it better to prevent mold.
    Any ideas??

Default Re: Painting with mold!

Just so you know, Kilz is a stain blocking primer, it is NOT a mold preventer or killer.

You can kill surface mold with a bleach solution, followed with a good rinse. You can also purchase mold inhibitor to mix into your paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

After cleaning the mold away with bleach, how about doing something so that it doesn't come back?

After cleaning with bleach, primer is good enough. It worked for me.

An oil based primer is my first choice for bathrooms. Zinsser makes an excellent one.

That being said, your problem isn't mold its exhaust ventilation. Once you control the moisture, the mold will stay away on its own. Running a dehumidifier is an expensive band aide. A properly sized vent fan will solve your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    An oil based primer is my first choice for bathrooms. Zinsser makes an excellent one.

That being said, your problem isn't mold its exhaust ventilation. Once you control the moisture, the mold will stay away on its own. Running a dehumidifier is an expensive band aide. A properly sized vent fan will solve your problems.

The problem is, this is a BEDroom.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The problem is, this is a BEDroom.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh. My bad.

But you still have to solve the water issue. Is it coming from outside? Sprinklers? Rain?

I agree, you have to solve the issue before trying to hide it.

As others have stated, it is imperitive that the mold spores be kiled first.Otherwise, they will merely eat their way to the surface.

Use only a premium paint. The first thing that gets cut in low priced paints is the mildecide. All Behr paints contain a mildecide. Further, the Behr Ultra line, which uses Nano technology, is inherently mildew resistant due to its extremely dense paint film. In fact, the Ultra was first marketed as a "kitchen and bath" paint. It was later expanded to a full line of sheens, dropping the former K&B notation.

Bedrooms aften show mold on exterior walls because people tend to sleep with the bedroom door closed. Two people breathing in an enclosed area can generate a lot of moisture. The outside walls are also relatively cold. Moisture and cool temperatures result in mold. You are getting condensation on those walls, even if it is not to the point of running down the wall.

You can try keeping the furniture slightly out from the wall. Also, anything that keeps the air moving will help, such as a ceiling fan.

Does the bedroom have a dedicated air return? Many homes omit a return in every room to save on construction costs. Without a return, the humidity will go up when the door is closed and people are sleeping in there.

***! Thanks fo rall the great tips! My bedroom has been bleached for mold and it comes back each time. I will try the dehumidifier, since it has somewhat helped in the past. Is it stupid of me to paint if the mold hasn't been "cured"? I think I need to take down the drywall and reinsulate to truly rid myself of the mold. It is a drafty room, even though I insulated the attic and replaced the windows. I cannot afford to do that much work.