+ Reply to Thread

Default Water leak from inside top of the window

I have a window on the ground floor leaking when it is windy and raining. This is in front side of the house. It starts dripping after few minutes of rain. The water is appearing from inside top of the window where the gap between drywall and vinyl frame.

The front side is Stone Veneer and there is a window right above this window on the second floor. Couple of handymen took a look at this leak and caulked around the window from outside as well as anywhere they could see a gap in concrete mortor, but it is still leaking.

I will post images of this window both inside as well as outside as I have trouble attaching files here.
    Any idea where is the source of water getting in?
    Last edited by Jiffy; 10-23-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Default Re: Water leak from inside top of the window

Sounds like the head flashing is missing or has been caulked to dirrect water to the interior.
    If installed correctly no caulking would be required at the head flashing only where flashing meets the window stone to flashing no caulking.

That's right, it's the flashing.

To correct it, you need access from outside. Unfortunately it will mean tearing out some of the finish exterior, then re-do it.

Thanks for the reply. One of the contractor suggested to have penetrating Concrete sealer sprayed all over the Stone Veneer, just to push water outside. He thinks the Stone/mortor is getting soaked and let the water inside causing this leak aside from Window flashing issue.

What do you think?

You can certainly try that if your exterior is masonry. You can also try a cement sealer product called Thoroseal.

Your success depends on many factors, but if you are successful, you solve your problem very cheaply.

Rather than a concrete sealer use a Silin water proofing product.
    This type product is clear will not discolor the stone.
    My guess it the products contains Potassium Silicate which is used in Mineral Paints.