View Poll Results: Is changing a toilet shutoff valve easy enough to do?

Voters
4. This poll is closed
  • Sure, very simple. Just have courage!

2 50.00%
  • Possibly, but not by a novice

0 0%
  • Yes, but there are specific steps to take.

2 50.00%
  • No way, call a plumber.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Default toilet tank fills up on its own

I've replaced the floater before, but have procrastinated about putting a new one in. In the meantime, I noticed the tank fills up by itself even though I closed the shut off valve. Does this mean I need to replace the valve too? If so, do I just look for the same one that is on there? is there an upgrade? and are there and special tricks I need to know (sorry for so many questions)

Default Re: toilet tank fills up on its own

The shutoff valve is obviously not working. Most can be disassembled and a new washer installed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Good to know, about the washer. Have done that on my bathroom sink, so I'm hoping I can do this too!

We don't need to vote on this.

Only you can tell whether you can do a certain job or not. It all depends on your level of knowledge and experience.

In this particular case, I would replace the angle stop (valve). There are 3 kinds: threaded, soldered and compression. It will be easier to replace the one you have with a matching one.

Not sure? call a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    In this particular case, I would replace the angle stop (valve). There are 3 kinds: threaded, soldered and compression. It will be easier to replace the one you have with a matching one.
    Get a "quarter turn" version rather than the version that has a rubber washer. I have yet to see a washer-style one that actually shuts off the water after it's a few years old.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

add one more vote for "quarter turn" valves