+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swivel adapters

Default Re: Swivel adapters

Are you talking about a device that shuts of the water in the event of a hose burst or flood?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

None of you seem to understand what part Don is looking for. I do, since I saw the same video and ordered the Time Out automatic washing machine shut off valve from The Home Depot. In the video Rich seemed to give the impression that all the parts he used came in the kit. They don't! The PP84RB kit from Keeney that Bob Vila suggested comes with threaded adaptors, and I can understand how they would be used for the connections to the copper supply lines, but it would require lots of other complicated connections and fittings. The swivel adaptors that Don is asking about would be easier to use and make a neater installation. So, Don and I are looking for the swivel adaptors used to connect the washing machine valve to the copper supply lines. Rich used them, so they MUST be available somewhere! If you still can't understand, check out the video.

OK Don, I think we are in buisness! Keeney does make a kit that you can use to mount the valve using the old hose connections. It is not what Rich used in the video, but is actually easier as it does not require any soldering. Go to TheHomeDepot.com, click on "plumbing", and do a search for "Time Out washing machine shut off valve conversion arm kit". It is model no. 2354armkit. They seem to be pricey at $42 + shipping, but we are more or less at their mercy with this. I would still like to find the swivel compression fittings as I think that is a more satisfying way to do it, but using these adaptor arms at least it is not permanent, so if you ever decide to move you could take the valve with you! It is not available in the stores; it is only offered on line. Perhaps you can copy, paste, and print the photo and find the kit locally, but at least there is one place to get it. Good luck!

Well, Don never added any posts to this thread, so I don't know if he is reading it, but I will add a thought for those who are interested. I tried to use the kit that has an extension arm with a compression nut and sleeve to connect to the elbow on the valve. I could not get it to stop leaking. When I tried to tighten the nut on the compression fitting, it would "jump the thread's" on the elbow and never compress the sleeve enough to make a good seal. So I ordered the threaded couplings from Home Depot, and I will solder everything together. I will post some photos when the job is done.

I tried to post some photos, but I cannot because I have not done enough posts! Seems very silly to me. If anyone is interested, send me a pm with an email address, and I will be glad to forward some photos and part numbers. The valve and threaded adaptors are available from Home Depot, but not in the store. Should be available at good plumbing suppliers. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Last edited by Stan1949; 11-22-2012 at 09:45 PM.