+ Reply to Thread

Default Antique Door Knob

I have a door knob that is broken and I'm having a hard time locating parts . . . any suggestions appreciated.

Building: 1863 Federal Tenament

The door knob is porcelain with a porcelain spacer that has a collar that hold the spacer to a plate mounted on the door. That collar no longer connects with the mounting plate and there are no pieces found within the door knob when disassembled.

All of the door knobs I find require the spacer to be directly screwed into the door, I'd like to be able to repair this one without jerry rigging . . .

Any help appreciated.
    John
    Last edited by jccsullivan; 10-18-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: can't get pictures to load

Default Re: Antique Door Knob

Have you tried an internet search for antique hardware?

There are several manufacturers of reproduction hardware.

If they don't have what you want, there are several dealers of salvaged hardware around the country.

Default Re: Antique Door Knob

yes, I have had this issue for sometime, the door knob works, it is just very loose. I have tried to identify the type of door knob, I've gone through all the antique and restoration web sites I've found. I've gone to recyclers and antique malls . . . and have not found anyone that can identify this particular door knob. Just hoping someone from this site might have some other experience . . .

My path forward is to replace the door knob with one of the common varieties I can find, then take the door knob with me to see if I can get someone to identify it. If I find the manufacturer, then I think I have a better chance of finding the right materials to repair it.

Thanks for the response,
    John