+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Old House

I've been removing 80 years of paint from the exterior of my lap sided house. It has taken me several months to do the scraping and sanding on the north side. Now that I'm almost ready to prime and paint, it suddenly got cold here in north Missouri. It's one of those Aladdin houses from their 1928 catalog. The catalog states you could get it either redwood or cedar, I'm not sure which wood it is. I'm wondering if it will hurt to wait until the weather warms up next spring to do the priming and painting. I have already caulked the joints and around the windows and door.
    Last edited by DoItMyselfDebi; 10-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: Painting Old House

Try to find at least one above 50 degree day and at least spray a coat of primer on the house. That will protect it over the winter. If you let it go 6 or 7 months unprotected the wood will weather and a lot of your work will be wasted. Make sure that the surface temp of the wood is over 50 degrees before painting. They do make paints that will dry in lower temps but they are more expensive. You should still have some days that will be over 50 and possibly over 60 to paint.

Default Re: Painting Old House

I concur, we have a warm week coming up. I would suggest that you brush on a coat of oil based primer and then at least one top coat of a high quality paint like Behr or Velspar. Primer alone may absorb too much moisture.

The new top quality paints are advertised as primer and paint in one, but I don't know if I'm ready to accept that yet.