+ Reply to Thread

Default Dutch Lap Siding - mitered corners?

Hi - this is Lindy (new to the forum). I'm a residential builder in Michigan. I work primarily in a historical assembly -either renovating 100 year old cottages or building new ones that look old.

I have a request that is bothering me - I have been asked to miter the corners of dutch lap siding. Based on all of the houses/cottages that I've seen - a corner trim is the norm. So, I have two questions:

1) What is the correct/historical outside/inside corner when using dutch lap siding?

2) If it is a correct application to miter the corners, what material would you recommend? I would really need something stable to withstand the elements of Lake Michigan weather.

Thanks so much and I look forward to all of your input!!!

Lindy Olechnowicz
    Platinum Development Builders

Default Re: Dutch Lap Siding - mitered corners?

From my experience any dutch lap I have seen always uses corner boards and from a carpenters point of view it is common sense. I can not imagine any material that would not separate with a miter on a exterior dutch lap. I have never seen a cope on a dutch lap either. I guess it may be possible to glue a composite miter for a corner. Good luck and please post back with your progress and if you can post a picture of the finished project.
    Last edited by BobVila; 10-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Corner boards are the norm. Mitered corners would have a tendency to open and allow water to enter and cause damage.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

if you do opt to mitre the corners i would be running a heavy bead of poly butyl caulking in them to both seal and act as glue before installing the 2nd peice.

poly butyl is your standard window/door and siding caulking thats paintable. mulco's flex 9000 or flextra. or quad are such products
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Another thread, same subject.

advice on siding https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=122024
    Last edited by keith3267; 10-19-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add link