+ Reply to Thread

Default How to Keep a Patio Lattice from Blowing Apart

I have a redwood patio with a mostly solid privacy screen on two sides of it. The top 18" or so consist of a lattice in a square pattern. Not the standard angled type, but straight up and down, left and right. The original builder connected the lattice pieces with simple brads. After about five years we had a wind storm that broke apart the lattice members. So, I reassembled it and used staples this time to keep it together. It lasted a few more years and same thing. It fell apart last night.

It seems to me that the Redwood is a very soft wood and it has trouble holding the brads or staples, with their straight legs, in place. Even the trim pieces that are designed to hold it in the frame have trouble staying put with small trim nails. They just loosen up. I have considered replacing them with screws.

I am at a loss as to how to deal with the lattice. Does any one have any ideas on how to keep the lattice in one piece?

Thank you in Advance!

Default Re: How to Keep a Patio Lattice from Blowing Apart

The main problems with lattice is that it is usually only stapled from one side, which results in a poor connection. Couple the fact that the lattice is in a very harsh environment where it is subjected to all manner of weather, the wood swells and contracts with both moisture and temperature, both of which have a field day with fasteners of any type.

I have had excellent results with using polyurethane glue and either brads or stapling from both sides. The combination of glue and mechanical fastener make for a much stronger and durable joint. The only lattice that I've lost in the last 10 years is due to animal damage or rough handling. Now, I do make my own panels, so that would be why I can use glue whereas with a store bought panel you're out of luck unless you are willing to disassemble the panel.

At the very least, you will find a definite improvement by installing fasteners from both sides of the panel.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The main problems with lattice is that it is usually only stapled from one side, which results in a poor connection. Couple the fact that the lattice is in a very harsh environment where it is subjected to all manner of weather, the wood swells and contracts with both moisture and temperature, both of which have a field day with fasteners of any type.

I have had excellent results with using polyurethane glue and either brads or stapling from both sides. The combination of glue and mechanical fastener make for a much stronger and durable joint. The only lattice that I've lost in the last 10 years is due to animal damage or rough handling. Now, I do make my own panels, so that would be why I can use glue whereas with a store bought panel you're out of luck unless you are willing to disassemble the panel.

At the very least, you will find a definite improvement by installing fasteners from both sides of the panel.
    Thanks for the great tips. BTW: I think your signature line is one of the first that I have actually laughed at.

Copper rivets?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

dont use lattice.. it doesnt hold up at all.. unless for the top of a privacy fence. use fence boards to skirt it in. looks better, more durable and keeps animals out
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If you have to use lattice (and I assume you mean the plastic lattice), frame it with 1x2s or 2x2s strips (redwood or PT, rip them off 2x4s), so that: 1. it will have some support, 2. it can be easily secured, 3. will stand up to some moderate winds.