+ Reply to Thread

Default Crack in old plaster

I have a home built in 1929 and with the intense summer heat, a crack appeared in the plaster. How should I fix? Thanks

Default Re: Crack in old plaster

1- Where is the crack?

2- Is there vertical displacement? - can you slide something across it and hit a lip?

3- is the crack vertical? Horizontal or at a 45 angle?

4- How many cracks are there?

5- is there a corresponding crack on the other side of the same wall?

Houston Remodeler has some very good questions.
    After 70 years and than you have a crack develope I would think it would be a structural problem ( movement ).
    Cracks in plaster have many causes but I think you can rule out Internal Stress , Deflection crack as this type crack would have many off shoots.A warped stud crack would be vertical and have small off shoots. All other types off cracking in plaster would have occured many years ago.

Thanks for reply. The message board won't let me post pictures. I would really like some better input based upon the photos. I can email them or leave my email. Thanks, Jay

where in the house is the crack, is there a floor above. the heat doesnt make much sense.. but if its the main floor ceiling or on the top floor and you had your roof redone it wouldnt surprise me.. if something heavy was dropped the impact can cause the plaster to crack
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The crack is in a "nook" extending from the house. Crawl below it - roof replaced 5+ years ago. We had the hottest/driest summer in history. House built in '29

I don't think it's heat related.
    Is the crack wider than 1/4"?

Also, try to answer some of the questions we are asking - we are trying to help you!

1- Where is the crack?

2- Is there vertical displacement? - can you slide something across it and hit a lip?

3- is the crack vertical? Horizontal or at a 45 angle?

4- How many cracks are there?

5- is there a corresponding crack on the other side of the same wall?

The crack is about 45 and is less then 1/4" One main crack and some splinters next to window - hairline crack extends upward
    The board won't allow me to upload pics. Says they're invalid - I reduced there size. Im a mac user

I would say based on that explaination that it is a RACKING CRACK
    these are caused by structural movement.
    These type cracks are directional and move in almost a straight line with very short off shoots, all the off shoots will come off the main crack at about a 45 degree angle and pointed in the same direction.Any crack larger than 1/16 of an inch would be structural.
    The off shoots will not get to the 1/16" more like hair line cracks.