+ Reply to Thread

Default shower & tub diverter systems?????

with all the choices out there, it certainly is a mystery. i`m converting from a two valve to a one valve setup and for me there are just too many to choose from. it doesn`t appear consumer reports covers this. only shower heads. i know i want chrome but that`s it. i`m not looking for a high end valve. just how do i know if it`s good quality and easy maintenance. thanks out there

Default Re: shower & tub diverter systems?????

Stick with a well know brand, common in your area. Delta is probably the best know and most widely used valve brand out there. I've never had a problem with them, they're easy to maintain and repair when necessary. As for the diverter style, the most common is a pull-up plunger on the tub spout which blocks the flow of water to the tub and diverters it up to the shower head.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I def. think you should go with Delta...they never failed me yet.
    Looking for high quality Hidden Content for my new home.

Yep. I have also tried using Delta Systems and it's just what you need.

If you don't care about controlling volume, Kohler has a durable finish and great service record. Moen is also good. Delta is not bad but I think they still use rubber seats and metal springs. True you can find the parts easy enough, but at the same time that tells you something.

Shaun

thank you all for the info. just wondering, did anyone ever do a conversion? go from an 8" 2 valve setup to a single lever diverter. i don`t have a lot of access (room) behind the diverter and the wall is formica. am i in for a major problem here with this setup? much thanks again

It will be no different changing from a two valve to single handle style valve. You need access to the interior of the wall to get to the plumbing, then you have to make the existing pipes fit to the new valve. Where the difficulty comes in is if your home was plumbed with pex instead of copper. Pex requires a special crimping tool (cost unknown ) to make the joints. Copper requires a soldering torch, lead free solder, and paste flux (all available in the plumbing department ). The only major word of warning before soldering is to remove the guts of the valve so that the heat doesn't damage the seals and delicate parts.

If the formica is in good condition, and you've found a valve with a large escutcheon plate designed to cover an older style two valve hole, then you might be able to reuse the wet wall formica, otherwise you'll have to replace it with one that doesn't have holes. If you do have to replace it, the actual name of the product is Marlite, which will help in locating it. Marlite is like formica, a resin based product, as opposed to a masonite surround material that is masonite with a vinyl surface.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!