+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crabgrass

Hybrid View

Default crabgrass

what can i use to keep out and kill crabgrass inn my lawn. it's taking over my lawn so i want to kill it.

Default Re: crabgrass

Let the frost kill it & use a pre-emergent like Greenlight crabgrass preventer w/ Dimension in the spring. If you need to reseed, do it in the fall. Most crabgrass killers don't work very well. Prevention is the easiest way.

you could use an Ortho crabgrass killer, or wait for a frost. It depends on how bad the crabgrass has invaded the grass. My opinion is this....it's almost time for a frost, you might as well wait because crabgrass killer is slow anyway. I used the Ortho product about a week ago and it is true that it does not work like magic, so let the crabgrass die with a frost, and most importantly, use a good pre-emergent in the early spring!

Greetings,
    I didn't know anything about lawns until I got my house and I had a lousy landscaper. First, I had too many rocks to grow grass. Second, I learned what clean fill dirt is--even when you ask for it doesn't mean you'll get it. Third, I got more than 2,000 sq ft of crabgrass when I had the lawn sprayed on. I am in a wheelchair. I used a heavy duty weedkiller. I waited until the crabgrass died, then I immediately planted new grass, in large sections. A spring pre-emergent doesn't keep all of it out. I have a neighbor that doesn't do anything about her 2500 sq ft of crabgrass except cut it. I literally know every blade of grass. I wish I knew the secret to keep out neighbors crabgrass--she's a single mother and can't do it at all. I'm hoping the advice that Roger Cook gives on this website will help her rid the crabgrass---rake yard good--put down compost, seed, then starter fertilizer. That sounds a lot easier than hand-digging, from a wheelchair, all that crabgrass.
    Jean (OH)