+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing Rotted Storm

I've got a storm window which has pretty severe rot on the lower rail. I've never tried to repair a window before, so I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

I've not yet tried to remove all the rotted wood, but it looks to me like about 1/4" of the bottom is completely bad, the tenons have completely rotted, and either side (where the tenons attached) is rotted between 1/4" and 2". The side rails with the mortise are in better shape, but would need a little restoration as well around the mortises.

My initial thought was to remove the paint, remove all the rotted wood, seal with one of those penetrating wood hardener products, and then rebuild the rotted edges with epoxy. I could then fill in the mortises with tenon blanks (or maybe just epoxy?) to make the side rails solid, and then rejoin the lower rail with dowel joints. The only thing I'm unsure of is if that is going to be using too much epoxy?

Option B is to completely replace the lower rail, but these are old if not close to original storms (the house was built in 1925) so I'd rather preserve the old wood than replace it if possible.

Has anybody else dealt with this that can give me some tips?

Default Re: Repairing Rotted Storm

You may extend the life of the units a few years by repairing with epoxy, but I would replace the rotting wood areas with new. A scarf joint is cheaper than a big epoxy kit. The quart kit of Abatron is like $125 which buys a lot of 5/4 stock you're right you can dowel it, just don't use off-the -shelf dowel made from who-knows-what wood. Use white oak, walnut, or real mahogany doweling(not lauan).
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: Repairing Rotted Storm

Replacing is a longer term solution. I know you rather fix the wood, but if you do, you'll be back in square one in a few short years.