+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing an Indirect Hot Water Heater of Oil Fired Furnace

I would like to remove a leaking indirect hot water heater from our oil fired boiler to make way for an electric tankless. We no longer use the oil fired heating system in our 1840 house for anything except hot water, it used to create steam for the steam radiators but last year we put in a wood stove and that now heats our entire house - that and a few electric base boards ...

The indirect water heater leaks and will probably die altogether and an electric tankless makes the most sense for us. There are four lines in and out of the indirect hot water tank. Two in and out for the water lines for the hot and cold to the house and two in and out of the furnace. I have done some looking around ****** and I'm not sure if we can just cut it out and cap the lines to the furnace. Something to do with pressure???

We are hoping to do this ourselves. Installing a tankless is a simple job, my husband is an electrician and I've done a few pluming jobs myself. It is messing with the boiler that I am more nervous about.

We would like to leave the boiler intact and working/producing steam should we want to use the steam or one day convert to hot water. And I just had the dang thing cleaned and we still have a half tank left of oil!

Default Re: Removing an Indirect Hot Water Heater of Oil Fired Furnace

You can just cap the lines. I would do it as close to the boiler as possible.

John

Default Re: Removing an Indirect Hot Water Heater of Oil Fired Furnace

I agree with John, but I wonder if you have gotten any estimates and ideas from local heating contractors; if you don't have natural gas in your area, a decent oil-fired hot water boiler can be installed (they're size of a large suitcase these days), along with an indirect HWH for approx $3k., and they may take out all the old stuff as part of the deal; oil-fired or gas-fired equipment usually costs much less to run than electric.
    Last edited by brewster; 10-12-2012 at 08:16 PM.