+ Reply to Thread

Default Metal roofing, how to join hips?

I'm going to be installing a metal roof using 3 foot wide sheets. Building has a hip roof, it's rectangular and there are no valleys. I'm having trouble finding anything 0nline that really describes how to make the joint in the cap where the two hips join the ridge.

If anyone can point me to a page or video that describes how to do this, that would be great!
    Last edited by Fencepost; 10-11-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Metal roofing, how to join hips?

This may get you in the right direction FencePost

http://www.metalsales.us.com/files/i...st%20Coast.pdf
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I've found lots of installation guides by manufacturers like that one. They give plenty of details, but none I've found so far tell you how to make that joint.

Here's the ONLY thing I've found so far, but I'd like to find something more authoritative, or at least a second opinion:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.ph...3669#msg143669

(At the very least, this should describe for you what I'm trying to do).
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Fencepost the gap they show in the link you provided seems a little wide. I usually make it about 1 to 1" wide and then install the metal cap. The ends are sealed with a foam insert rather than bending down the cap.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack, I agree on the gap. I have plans for sealing that up. I don't want continuous ridge vent anyway; this is for an outbuilding that will have a rooftop ventilator.

My main concern was the three-way joint of the two hip caps and the ridge cap. Of course I want to do things properly, even though it IS for a chicken house. There's no point in doing it wrong if there's a right way to do it. The chickens might not care about how it looks, but I suspect they WILL care if their heads get wet.