+ Reply to Thread

Default 1930s house -- very thick cedar shingles

hi,
    i am renovating a very traditional colonial built in 1930. the current siding -- which i like very much -- is a (unique) very thick cedar shingle (1" at the butt), with "11 inches to the weather." according to the homeowner, the siding was painted around 4 years ago, but it is already exhibiting signficant peeling. my contractor and a painter that i talked to thinks that the peeling is likely due to moisture that is going in the back of the shingle. thus, priming and repainting is not a long-term solution. so... any other ideas for what to do? scrap the current siding and replace? replace with what? hardie? thanks

Default Re: 1930s house -- very thick cedar shingles

Hmm, that sounds like a hefty remodeling task. I'd say you're better off replacing the entire siding and determine how bad the moisture spots are. Hopefully it hasn't affected areas of the foundation. Do you live in a seasonably warm city?

your painter is right typically when wood siding keeps blistering its do to moisture.. water is getting into them and only drying from the outside.. the moisture comes out through the face blistering the paint.. if the painter is using oil based paint it will continue to blister. latex will breathe and let hte moisture out..

the other option is to strip the wall and install a proper rain screen for the cedar shakes to go over.. allowing them to dry both on the face and back by creatin ga air space. thick shingles are called shakes. typically 1/2" to 3/4" thick and 16- 24" tall with a 7 " exposure
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Another option is to remove all the shingles and flip them over and re-install. These shingles weren't meant to be painted unless you were mixing iron oxide with cows milk.....