+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Lose power in part of house, A/C Coil hums

My lights have been flickering for the past few days, then I lost all power in a portion of the house. No breakers tripped, and the lines to the breakers and the neutral are all tight. When the power goes out I can hear a humming noise coming from the central air conditioner coil in our attic. When I shut the breaker to the air conditioner, after a minute or so the power comes back on in the portion of the house that was out. If I flip the A/C breaker on again, I get the same flickering, etc. The flickering can go on for days before losing power. Strange, any ideas?

Default Re: Lose power in part of house, A/C Coil hums

sounds like a problem for your elec. company

Quote Originally Posted by jldelia View Post
    My lights have been flickering for the past few days, then I lost all power in a portion of the house. No breakers tripped, and the lines to the breakers and the neutral are all tight. When the power goes out I can hear a humming noise coming from the central air conditioner coil in our attic. When I shut the breaker to the air conditioner, after a minute or so the power comes back on in the portion of the house that was out. If I flip the A/C breaker on again, I get the same flickering, etc. The flickering can go on for days before losing power. Strange, any ideas?

It certainly sound like electrical part of your A/C system needs attention.

I would leave the breaker for A/C system off until electrician investigates the problem.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Smile Re: Lose power in part of house, A/C Coil hums

Well, it was a problem for the electric company. Apparently the whole street was having an issue of receiving only partial power. I would have definitely thought it was something to do with the A/C unit, but thankfully, not the case.

Glad you found the problem. Most power companies have several houses on one transformer, so if a "hot leg" has a bad connection at the transformer, all of the houses will have a similar problem. It's called "half power or "partial power' . If it's a neutral problem, you can have half of your lights go bright when others go dim. Either one can cause expensive damage.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!