+ Reply to Thread

Default Crazy Problem- HELP!!!

So, I have this crazy problem and NO one can seem to figure it out. I live in a house built in the 1930's. In the basement is a floor drain. Beginning a couple of weeks ago, after a heavy rain, i noticed that water was coming up out of the drain and flooding my basement. This has now happened a couple of times and not only does the water come up the drain during the heavy rain, but continues coming out even 24 hours after the rain has stopped. I have installed a utility pump over the drain and it pumps thousands of gallons of water out after it rains. I have no idea where the drain goes. I know that it doesn't go to my cesspool because that is actually up hill of the drain and the water coming out is clean with no smell or color.

A couple of comments. First, my property is slightly slanted and the house is actually at the top of the slant and the rest of the property runs down hill, so i have good drainage. Next, there's no construction in my neighborhood nor have I done anything.

All of the down spouts had been buried in the ground and i have taken those out and re-distributed the water,

I know that i can put in a sump pump, but i want to know WHY this is happening in the first place. I actually had a contractor say that maybe I have a natural spring under my house. I've been here for 15 years, why would this happen now? I guess I can make some money bottling the water from the "natural spring"

Default Re: Crazy Problem- HELP!!!

I'm gonna guess the drain was originally installed and went to a french drain which is now clogged and useless. When it rains hard the water floods the drain and pipe, running backwards into the house. Wait for the water to recede then plug the drain. They sell rubber plugs at big box stores. Wait for a huge rain. See what happens. Let us know.

if you don't mind paying a plumber/drain cleaner for an hours labor you can have him snake the pipe with a camera. the camera will show where the pipe leads and if it's broken. it was obviously an old drain to somewhere. maybe the pipe broke and when the groud water level rises after a rain storm it backups into the house. maybe it was capped somewhere and the cap failed. as houston said, maybe it leads to some other type of drain system that got clogged. many many possibilities and a camera should solve the mystery.

So, I called a plumber and the problem they have is that they can't run a camera if there's water in the pipe because they say they can't see anything. In order to prevent flooding I've installed a utility pump over the drain and it goes on automatically when the water gets high, but I'd love to know what the problem is and not simply put a bandaid on it.

Here we go again. Got a major storm 2 days ago and have been pumping out the basement ever since. The amazing thing is that the rain stopped 48 hours ago and it's been warm and sunny since and the water is still coming up through the drain, if I turn off the pump the basement floods. Where the hell is all of this water suddenly coming from?

You did mention the assumption that this drain leads to a cesspool, which is elevated and located higher than the house. Are you sure of this? if yes, how do you get rid of internal basement flood water without a pump?

1. Capping the useless drain may or may not work, depending on the amount of water you get there and the pressure it builds.

2. Running a camera is impossible while the drain is full of water, so you will have to wait till it's dry.

3. How about running a snake through, to see if there is some kind of a blockage in the line: mud, roots or other?

I'd run a snake now. Run a cam later. In the meantime, cap the drain so no more water comes in and wait to see if it holds.

Now, regarding the idea to bottle the water...